The school runs the General Nursing Programme which is for a period of three years.
We also runs Midwifery Programme which is approved by Nursing and Midwifery Council of Nigeria.
The library is open for the convenience of all student nurses and School of Nursing Staff.
The school has excelled in sports and won all the four editions of the South East Schools of Nursing and Midwifery Games (NISONMG).
The school of Nursing, University of Nigeria Teaching Hospital, Ituku/Ozalla, Enugu was established initially as a Specialist Hospital School of Nursing but later approved for training of General Nurses with the University of Nigeria in 1971. On April 1st 1973, the school became the School of Nursing.
To produce future nursing leaders who will impact local and global health and lead the transformation of health care to make lives better through education, research, evidence-based practice and community engagement.
Reflective of University of Nigeria Teaching Hospital, Ituku/Ozalla, Enugu’s mission, to provide quality nursing training to produce nurses who would satisfy internationally recognizable standards to fulfill the fundamental health needs of Nigeria in giving quality nursing care and be able to cope with the changing health care environment and the recent technological advances in the health care delivery system.
The School of Nursing as an educational institution prepares nursing students for polyvalent services in all settings. In doing so it provides opportunities for the student to achieve his/her educational, professional and social needs in a favourable environment to stimulate the behavioral changes of the students.
Service, Devotion, Excellence, Caring, Integrity, Diversity, Respect, Professionalism, Nursing innovation.
The School of Nursing, University of Nigeria Teaching Hospital is located in Enugu Metropolis in Enugu North Local Government Area of Enugu State in the South Eastern Zone of Nigeria. It is bounded in the north by Iva Valley, South by the Central Police Station (CPS), East by Government Secondary School and West by Ngwo town.
The environment is surrounded by scenic hills which make it appear cozy at first sight. At general outlook, the school environment is friendly and free of health and safety hazard. Hence, there is adequate water supply, healthy air quality, safe play grounds and twenty-four hour security.
Objectives of the programme At the end of the programme, the student is expected to:
• Explain the biological, social, cultural factors that influence man’s behavior in health and illness;
• Identify the concepts, principles and basic facts essential, to the practice of nursing, and apply these concepts and principles in patient care;
• Demonstrate cordial interdisciplinary relationship with other members of the health team, maintaining the ethical standards of nursing profession;
• Plan and interpret therapy according to the nursing needs of the individual (use of nursing process/ nursing care plan);
• Organize her/his personal goals as an individual, a professional, member of a family and society.